[pure-silver] Re: After sinks, your favourite tongs?

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:35:57 -0400

At 02:33 PM 7/28/2005 , Eric wrote:

...  If I had
>tremendous space considerations, I might consider using a single tray.

July 30, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

Single-tray is certainly space effective. I've found it is more effective
all around. I prefer it as a usual working method because it is quicker and
easier than the multiple tray method, especially with larger sheet sizes.
It is also more flexible (can switch to larger paper size very easily, can
keep several versions of developer and/or toner at hand easily, temperature
control of solutions is simple, etc.)

I always found I was pooped out by the end of a darkroom session, but I
still had all those trays to deal with. Another angst, frankly. My memory
is colored by the fatigue that made it all the worse. And single-tray paid
me a little bonus I didn't expect: because my selenium toner is now in the
tray for only the ten minutes at a time that I require, it does not have
time enough to stain the tray. I never have to clean a selenium toner
stained tray! Unbelievable... (Well, I do have to clean the tray once in a
while, and some of the staining is bound to be selenium, but you know what
I mean.)

Basically, with single-tray I get a larger proportion of darkroom pleasure
and a smaller one of darkroom drudgery. I'd say I also work more
efficiently over the long term (fewer time wasting errors and fewer wasted
sheets).

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.