[pure-silver] Re: After sinks, your favourite tongs?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:57:31 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Rudman" <ps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:58 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] After sinks, your favourite tongs?

Another casualty of the changing times for darkroom.
Kenro make (made) my favourite tongs, 10 inches long, stainless steel,
replaceable rubber tips, perfect shape, firm grip with minimal pressure,
never mark the emulsion, never snap.
Guess what - they have discontinued production.

I have searched around all my suppliers for decent alternatives and the
choice is very limited for these grossly underestimated tools! It may sound
trivial but I think that really good tongs are not only a joy to use, they
are surprisingly hard to find.

So what are your favourite tongs, why and where do you get them?

Tim

http://www.worldbookoflithprinting.com
<http://www.worldbookoflithprinting.com/>

I am another who uses the cheap bamboo tongs. The problem I have with gloves is that you have to take them off to handle fresh paper.
At one time you could buy a sort of liquid rubber or plastic for dipping the handles of pliers and other electrical tools in to provide an insulated gripping surface. This stuff would work for replacing rubber boots on tongs but I haven't seen any for a while.

---