Re: Plextalk Pocket

  • From: "Pele West" <pele.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 09:11:29 +0100

Hi Russ

I have recently bought a Plextalk Pocket, and I also have a Victor Reader
Stream.  I had the Booksense on trial from Force Ten but did not like it much.

All three players are good at playing DAISY books, which is what they are
designed to do.

I did not get on with the Booksense as I did not like the music player.  I like
setting an MP3 player going on an album and letting it go on to the next album
without having to select it.  This is not possible on the
Booksense, or it is not so easy to do.  The Stream and the Plextalk Pocket can
do this.

But what I like about the Plextalk Pocket with the new firmware is the ability
to listen to internet radio if you have a wireless router.

The Uk versions of the Plextalk Pocket and the Victor Reader Stream have the
Daniel male voice for reading text, and he is horrible as his voice has been
compressed so he sounds as though he has a bad cold.  I
am not sure about the text-to-speech voice on the Booksense.

It is possible to make notes using the Plextealk Pocket, although it is rather
a slow process using the keypad, rather as one does on a mobile phone.

If one is reading a text file on the Stream it is possible to search for a
particular word using the keypad.  Again, this is rather slow but a useful
feature.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Pele