RE: Plextalk Pocket

  • From: Curtis Delzer <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 01:15:23 -0500

book port plus?
isn't that a pocket with some firmware changes?

At 04:13 PM 9/28/2011, you wrote:
Hi Russ,

 Adding to what John has already mentioned about it being very much
dependent on what you want to use the player for.....

>From the perspective of the physical features, I'd say that both the Pocket
PTP1 and the BookSense are beautifully portable and fit into a pocket
easily.  The Victor Stream is a bit more squared off and chunky and, whilst
not unmanageable, a bit more bulky than the other two.  The BookSense is, if
anything, perhaps a bit better in this regard.  The keypads are a matter of
personal preference but my favourite is certainly the Pocket as the buttons
are easily located and not too wide.  The Stream buttons are easy to find
but are quite wide.  The BookSense has a rather odd keypad with keys being
alternately higher or lower.  Whilst a nice idea, I personally find that the
effect of this layout is that I often find it harder to locate specific keys
in comparison to the other two players.

As playback devices these players are much of a muchness.  On occasion one
steals a march over the others by bringing in additional formats that can be
played but normally the others catch up quite quickly.  The BookSense used
to have quite good features for playing music and allowed selection of
tracks based on genre, artist etc.  The other players are not as good for
this.

The Pocket is head and shoulders above the other two as a recorder and, in
my opinion this is the main selling point.  The other two do allow recording
but the Stream records in its own specific format which needs to be
converted before using elsewhere.  Combined with a good external microphone,
the Pocket is an excellent, highly portable and good quality recorder - I
love it.

The Pocket can now be configured to play internet radio which I don't think
the others can.  The BookSense XT can on the other hand, play FM radio
stations.  I don't think the Stream has either of these facilities.

As notetakers, I think that all three are a bit clunky and, whilst they do
have this feature, I don't think any of them implement the note facility in
as slick a manner as other devices such as the Milestone.

I guess that there are other pros and cons, not least the varying costs, but
these are the main issues for me.

If you are getting the chance to get a Pocket along with the PRS Pro
software, it certainly sounds like a good deal.

Hope this helps,

Jamie