[project1dev] Re: combat musings - injuries, status, partylist, matchups and tagteaming

  • From: Chris Riccobono <crysalim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:52:19 -0700

Wow guys, 59 mails in this thread :)

Doing my best to respond to all that was said...

- deaths: I like the conclusion of what Alan proposed, where you load
the last save and go back to checkpoints.  I know that this is kind of
boring aesthetically, but the flip side is that we need to try to
balance the game so that players aren't dying a lot, so we don't need
to put a lot of resources into death management.  I believe this is
actually the issue we're trying to solve here.

In order to achieve that, some kind of progression will help even if
the player dies (for ex. the minigame tickets you get with gained exp
on death can go towards a minigame where you can possibly improve
stats).  I personally would try to avoid penalties for dying - again I
know this isn't realistic, but it might be more fun.  The more we can
take off the players mind - "oh man, I hope I don't die, it'll be a
pain to get that stuff back" - the better.

- team swapouts and MvC style hp regen: This will be tough to balance
if you can access your entire party at any time, but as long as
someone figures out a way to balance it, it's more than doable.
Marvel vs Capcom style regen is a great idea as well.

- ff6 desperation attacks: I loved these as well, they were a great
precursor to limit breaks.  Having a 1/64 chance of a fantastic attack
when you're almost dead (that was the ff6 chance, we can change it to
whatevers) can surprise the player in a very fun way.