[project1dev] combat musings - injuries, status, party list, matchups and tagteaming

  • From: eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Matthew Morgan <mmorgan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:36:36 -0400

ok here is how i am thinking parties will work in combat...

there will be 3 active party members in any fight and 4 on the sidelines
that can be "tagged in" (swapped) as a combat option for any of the active
players INCLUDING the hero. this will allow you to sub out injured
characters for fresh healthy ones, or if you want two people that can do a
special attack, you can have them sub in to pull of a coup de grace, or
maybe there is a MATCHUP you want to exploit.

Matchups? Huh?

Matchups are basically already existing in games but without anything to
quantify them.  basically, if you're in battle against a big slow ogre or
something, you can adjust your party to better match up w/ the enemy
(enemies) you're fighting.  Maybe you want a big dude that can go
mano-y-mano with the ogre, or a small quick dude who can exploit the ogre's
plodding attack and slow defense.  Maybe you're up against a flying creature
and arrows will be the best way to bring them down when standard attacks
seem ineffectual.   Picking the best match up for what you're going against
can mean the difference of life and death.

Injuries/status - we don't just want fights to be wars of attrition where
you attack attack attack and try to slowly drain your foes life (and vice
versa) - in real life, this would be the equivelent of standing in front of
someone and punching them back and forth until someone died.  Silly!  i
think most (if not all) of us are experienced martial artists and we know
fights don't work like that, there are holds, throws, etc that can put your
opponent in compromising situations that give you the advantage.  Add
weapons to this and we have a fun system that is more dynamic than the
typical rpg combat system.  Examples of this would be sweeps/tackles/throws
that leave the enemy prone and thus unable to defend themselves as well, or
entangled via nets, maybe even HELD by one character while the others beat
it up (could we do this)?  or maybe getting maimed or hamstrung knocks you
over, getting stunned (like street fighter when you do a certain combination
the enemy can't move and has birds flying above their head) is another
example.

This style of combat would add a lot of depth and strategy and make combat
feel more "alive" and dangerous and fun.  Also it adds a lot of potential
skills and techniques to our future list

Injuries - with our injury and death system, swapping to keep your team
healthy is important.  This is kind of a big thing but I am sort of leaning
towards thinking maybe MAYBE the hero can't die.  everyone else can, but if
the hero is "knocked out" in battle, he's back after the fight. he can then
go forward to try to find the next respawn node or maybe theres a "Recall"
option where you can revert to the start of the dungeon with all your party
members intact.  i think this will eliminate a lot of frustration as well as
prevent people from keeping the hero on the sidelines worried he will die.

just as a quick guess... i am thinking you get 7 active party members (3
active, 4 tagteamable) and then an additional 7 back at your "home base"
that you can swap out ff style whenever you're there for a total of 14 in
your party.  We will (ideally) have 40-50 recruitable characters so this
forces you to make some decisions on who you want to pick but also gives you
a large stable of characters so you don't feel like "shit, i have to give up
one of my favs".

Just some thoughts... let me know what you think!