RE: Neural Networks, Programming Languages

  • From: Dónal Fitzpatrick <dfitzpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:47:29 +0100

Hi Rick,

A neural network was first devised in Cornell university to mirror the
structure of the brain.  In essence they were trying to devise a flexible
computational mechanism.  They actually connected things physically (as far
as I remember from my undergrad days anyway) but one can achieve the same
thing in software.

Basically an artificial neuron fires according to inputs, and then triggers
an output.  Therefore, it comes down to mathematics and programming.  Just
make sure your language of choice supports recursion.  You can probably do
this stuff iteratively, but (again from my undergrad days) I found recursive
techniques to be the most suitable.

hth

Dónal