[program-l] Re: Objective-C coding for iOS on windows 7

  • From: "Ian Sharpe" <isforums@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 09:52:09 +0100

I sent the below in response to a thread regarding IOS UI development a
while ago now  but thought I'd send it again as it may be of help. Also I'm
actually looking at potentially creating an app myself now and feel this
approach is probably the best way forward at this time based on others
comments.

I don't have any experience with developing for the iPhone (or any other
mobile device for that matter) in terms of native code and had no idea how
poor the situation seems to be in terms of accessibility. It sounds like
some of you have bitten the bullet and found ways of addressing the
limitations around creating GUIs but this sounds horrible. And then there's
a $100 fee to just run your own app on your own phone?

I was only just reading an article the other day about a "device browser"
which an Android developer had developed to provide web developers with
access to the various devices and sensors on Android phones via Javascript -
the idea being that the web developers, who were great at web development
but who might have a steep learning curve to switch to native apps, could
simply develop an app using HTML5 as the interface but still gain access to
the lower level devices otherwise not available through a standard browser.
I'd be surprised if something similar doesn't exist for the iPhone?

In theory, the app would simply be a specific instance of the device browser
which pointed at a URL where the actual code resided as a web application.
So essentially you would write the application in whichever server-side
programming language you prefer and javascript to access low level
interfaces to devices not currently available via a standard web browser and
could create the interface as HTML. Personally I think this provides a
really nice programming model anyway and potentially gives you a degree of
flexibility not offered through a native app. In particular, you could
quickly make changes to the server-side web application which would
automatically be propagated across all apps hosted on whichever mobile
platform they are on. No upgrade needed.

Obviously this may not fit into everyone's business model but it would for
me and I would be very interested to know what any of the more experience
IOS developers think of this approach. In particular, whether such an
application would get through the app stores vetting process? I get the
impression that apps have to be of a certain quality in terms of GUI to get
onto the app store but because the app would actually be a web application
hosted elsewhere, I can see why they may reject the application as the
interface could change without any further review. Or they may just not want
to support this kind of deployment as it could potentially lead to lower
revenues in the long term.

Anyway, be really interested to hear what others think and / or whether such
an approach would be allowed onto the app store.

Cheers
Ian

Date: Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 04:23:56 PM

@> www.gnustep.org/resources/ObjCFun.html