-=PCTechTalk=- Re: spyware software?

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:48:22 +0100

On 29 Jun 2005 at 7:09,  milady wrote:
> I HATE to spend $$$$  if I can find one that works well for free. I
> have already put out money on some programs I ended up finding out I
> don't use.

My standard advice on this; to be taken or left...  :)

Antivirus programs:
Don't skimp. Buy the latest copy of Norton Internet Security.
McAfee's Suite is a good alternative, but avoid lesser known
products. The only two others I would even consider recommending [and
only because I have personal experience with them] are Kapersky
Antivirus and F-Prot. Remember that a virus can be MUCH more
destructive than spyware/adware, so a quality antivirus and firewall
package is a worthwhile investment.

Antispyware programs:
All you need is -
* IE-SPYAD2
* SpywareBlaster
* Ad-Aware

All free. Links to all can be found in the archives. I would also
recommend the Block List file at www.spywareguide.com, for the sake
of completeness. Regularly update these free programs, and you won't
need to pay for spyware protection.

I've been cleaning systems professionally for years, and as far as
scanning is concerned, I've never needed anything more Norton for
virus/Ad-Aware for spyware. Those who say "so-and-so picked up [x],
which Ad-Aware missed" are either trying to sell a product, or
they're not scanning properly in Ad-Aware.
Ad-Aware has a lot of configurable option that should be explored
before scanning takes place, and in previous versions, a lot of the
important options (e.g. scanning the Host file) were un-checked by
default. Recent versions of the program have remedied this, but it's
still incumbent on the user to make sure. This applies across the
board; on _every_ program that scans your files.

My final bit of standard advice: On a Windows XP or 2000 machine,
every scan, no matter what the program, is WORTHLESS unless you are
performing it in Safe Mode, as the Administrator.

Faustus