-=PCTechTalk=- Re: spyware software?

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:04:28 +0100

On 29 Jun 2005 at 11:37, Judith wrote:
> Hate to admit this because I should know by now -- but how do
> you get in Safe Mode on XP Home?

I always have difficulty describing the process when the person isn't
sitting next to me, at a computer!   :-/

Hopefully someone will give a better, more concise answer, but here's
how I do it. What I'm about to describe happens fairly quickly, so
keep your eyes glued to the screen, and don't fret if you miss it
first time around! Practice makes perfect...

Restart the computer. Windows shuts down, then the POST (Power-On
Self Test) begins - graphics cards announce themselves, system memory
gets counted, and sometimes you hear a beep. Then the screen flips to
a DOS text "picture" of a table which has information on your IRQs
and other hardware info. As soon as this "table-screen" appears (i.e.
BEFORE the "loading Windows XP..." screen appears) you should tap the
F8 key, once every two seconds. Do NOT just hold the F8 key down or
you will lock the keyboard, requiring another reboot.

Keep tapping patiently, and a few seconds after the F8-tapping
ritual, a boot menu will appear with the option of booting to Safe
Mode as one of the options. Use the arrows keys on your keyboard to
scroll down to it and press Enter. Safe mode will boot up.

Faustus

[addendum] Now that I'm thinking about this; someone MUST have
invented an easier way to get to Safe Mode. Anyone know of any
programs that do the job?