-=PCTechTalk=- Re: problem

  • From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:37:50 -0500

still thinking on this - are all of your windows updates up to date? I've been
trying to search microsoft for a clue. It mentions the messenger for XP and for
2000  systems- and you have ME - but wow - it sure sounds like spyware or
messenger.
I'm wondering if something corrupted your spybot so that it isn't really
picking up spyware on your system. I've never had that happen with that
particular program, but I have had it happen with others when that clientman
spyware got on my computer.
don't click on any links that pop up - there was an article in our newspaper
about 2 people who clicked on links saying you had spyware on your computer to
scan now, and how that scam worked. It wasn't pretty. One got a virus on his
system and the other actually clicked the link and the program downloaded to
his computer and he had a very difficult time removing it afterwards.

I cleaned a friend's sister's computer, who was having a similar problem - but
they had over 700 spyware programs running on their system and several viruses
- and they were running winxp - the 1st thing I did was put the google toolbar
on to control the pop ups so that I could get in to other parts of their
computer, and to web sites. even with nothing opened, their system generated
hundreds of pop ups within seconds.

CrisS