-=PCTechTalk=- Re: open office - Help on download

  • From: "Cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:45:18 -0400

Thank you!
ok - that sounds good. Do you know if it has the capability to make labels? I
use a free avery label program that says it only works on microsoft's word
program.
here is what the open office site says about multiple users - so you think it
isn't necessary for me to install it this way?
Cris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note: If you will be installing OpenOffice.org on a Windows
PC used by more than one user, and you want all users to
be able to use OpenOffice.org (each user logs in separately),
please see the Quick-Start Guide for Multiple Users.

Note. Depending on your install set you may be asked
if you want OpenOffice.org to be your default Office suite.
If you answer "yes" and then change your mind, returning to the
prior state is tedious. You need to reassociate all Office files.

Quick-Start Guide, Windows in a Multiple User Environment

If you have multiple users set up on your machine,
then each user who wishes to use OpenOffice.org 1.0
will need to install separately. This uses up a lot of disk space.
As an alternative, you can use the multi-user option instead,
though installation is a little more complicated:

Unzip the downloaded file into its own folder. If you
have Compressed Folders installed, the easiest way to do
this is to right click on the file and then choose Extract All...
Open Command Prompt (if you have Windows NT, 2000 or XP)
or MS-DOS prompt (for other versions of Windows). You
should find this on the Start Menu somewhere under Programs
(on some versions of Windows, it is in the Accessories folder).
You should then type the location of the folder followed
by "install\setup /net". For example, if you unzipped the
 files to "C:\OpenOffice Setup\" you would
type C:\OpenOffice Setup\OOo_1.1x_Win32Intel_install\setup /net followed by
Return.
Then follow the on screen prompts ... make a note of the
 folder in which OpenOffice.org 1.0 is installed onto your computer.
Note. Depending on your install set you may be asked if
you want OpenOffice.org to be your default Office suite.
If you answer "yes" and then change your mind, returning
to the prior state is tedious. You need to reassociate all Office files.
This will install a shared version of OpenOffice.org on
your computer. When each new user on your machine opens
OpenOffice for the first time, they will be taken through
a few steps to install user portions of the software in their individual areas.