-=PCTechTalk=- Re: open office - Help on download

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:01:46 -0400

Cris-

Go to the first link:  <http://www.openoffice.org/>, then click the
highlighted 'Download in the upper left corner, right under
"OpenOffice.org 1.1.3rc".  This will take you to a page listing mirrors.
  Pick one that has 3 stars (better download rate), like the Australian
site on the Pacific Internet, either the HTTP or FTP.

When you click on that link, you'll see a list of files to download.
The one for Windows is all the way at the bottom.
OOo_1.1.3rc_Win32Intel_install.exe

After the version number   OOo_1.1.3rc  is the release date 040916 .
Then the platform  Win32Intel , followed by the language if not English:
ja for Japanese, it for Italian,  de for German, etc. and then the type
of file.  *.exe for Windows executable, *.zip for a compressed zip file,
  and *.tar.gz for a gzipped tarball.

Download the file and then run (double click) it.  It will decompress
into a directory.  Go to that directory and find theSETUP_GUIDE.pdf and
read that, then find the setup.exe file and run it.  That will install
OpenOffice.  I highly recommend OOo.  I use it and don't even have MS
Office loaded on any of my machines anymore; I just don't need it.

Yes, you had the right file.  The others have more because there are
more libraries to go with the Linux versions.

Tom