-=PCTechTalk=- Re: open office - Help on download

  • From: "David F. Wooledge" <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "@freelistts PCTechTalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:31:14 -0700 (PDT)

Cris,
Congrats, I think you got the right download.  If it did download, yes install
it.  It might ask if you want it for just the one account you are logged into
at the time and it might give you the choice to install for all users.  If you
do not get the choice,  switch to one of the other screen names and see if you
there are icons for it and if it will run.  If not you will have to install it
for each screen name individually.  I'll be away and off line for a week, good
luck.  My Gateway Tower with XP is down now so I can't test it.  My project
when I return will be to get that up again.  One thing I have noticed missing
from OpenOffice.Org is the grammar checker that is part of spell check in
Windows Word.  It may be hiding somewhere, I don't find it though.
Dave

------------------------------
From: "Cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: open office - Help on download
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:48:41 -0400

Thanks Dave!
ok - I just went back to open office to download it. 1.1.3 is now the most
stable release. Interesting.
I clicked on the link to download, and it actually just started a download and
gave me an exe file this time - amazing! LOL none of those lists to choose from
- or a zip file!
(but it says it will take 50 minutes to download it - so I'll see what happens.
Now it says it will take over an hour to download!! It's 45 mb - I don't think
it should take that long - it says it's transferring at 10.6 kb/sec. I'm on a
cable modem, and downloads usually download really fast)
Just before my computer automatically re-booted itself, it popped up and said
my connection to the internet wasn't responding in my e-mail. Wondering if they
are having a problem. Everything seems to be really slow - even opening web
pages.
so - If it downloads! - should I just install it - and then you think I can get
it to work on all of the screen names, right?
Cris