-=PCTechTalk=- Re: general advice on a laptop

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:01:38 EST

In a message dated 12/31/03 6:44:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> HI
> I bought a refurbished Sony Vaio laptop, larger than normal screen, about a
> year ago. Let me tell you what I ran into and that maybe you should
> consider. It has a 40 Meg HD. I would like it to be larger now. But that is
> because of school.
>
> I bought mine on the net from UBID. I bid on 12 different ones and all came
> in within a $100 of each other. So I think UBID was doing some bidding on
> them.It came with XP Home. I go to school and figured I could update with
> the full version of XP Pro I get from school for 10 bucks. they said no
> cause there was something in the bios that checked what OS you were loading
> and if it wasn't from there disks it would not allow it to be installed. So
> I suggest no matter what one you get make sure that the OS can be updated or
> another one can be installed.
>
> If you are going to travel anywhere with it, that   means a case. I found
> real quick when I went looking for cases that the larger size laptop cut my
> selection of cases down buy about 80%. Also get a case that has protection
> around the laptop, for instances: air padding. This helps to prevent damage
> to the HD if the laptop is dropped, etc. Paying a couple of extra bucks here
> is a lot cheaper than replace HD's. Also you will want a case that will hold
> all the accessories you will end up getting for it. Compartments for them is
> real desirable.
>
> I bought a USB wireless optical mouse for mine and it cost me $50 bucks. It
> was the best decision I could have made. The problem here is that I have
> gone through 2 of their little wire extension cables. The wire inside seems
> to get broke just by removing it and putting it away in the case. I have to
> plug the transmitter/receiver directly into the USB port now. It is good for
> a distance of about 3 feet from the laptop. This too will have to go into
> the case. The mouse eats up AA batteries pretty quick (I could have got a
> non optical that took AAA batteries, I am glad I didn't). I have, had for 15
> years, alkaline rechargeable (But they do not make these kind any more) and
> I use them. It has saved me a small fortune in the cost of batteries. I
> carry 4 batteries around. The reason I prefer the wireless mouse is the
> touch pad is very very sensitive and is a real pain to use as far as I am
> concerned.
>
> I bought a UPC (small) surge protector for the laptop. I consider that a
> good investment. Again this will have to go into the case.
>
> I bought a 750 meg zip drive because of school and home. I would suggest, if
> you need something like that, that you consider getting one of those USB
> memory that plug directly into the USB port. I wished they were out when I
> got the zip drive, I would have gone that route. Again, I have to put this
> (750 zip drive) into the case. Keep in mind that I have two cords for it and
> [...]

My system froze and crashed as I responded to this a couple of hours ago.

I've had portable computers since 1985 the last two purchased on ebay and
ubid. My Gateway solo 9150 with a 15 inch XGA screen died a month ago, so I'm
shopping again.  I use my laptop in bed a lot as I am disabled.  I do a lot of
graphics and desktop publishing, so screen quality and clarity are issues.

I need a high quality screen, minimum 15 inches SXGA preferably UXGA,  I
have learned that normal applications do not fill the screen of 16 and 17"
which
are better if you plan to watch a lot of DVDs on your computer..... that's
what the W means.... WIDE.

So, I quite pining for a 16 inch UXGA and will be happy with a 15 inch SXGA
or UXGA.

Here are my choices
sager
http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product2.cfm?ProductType=5680&;
SubType=V

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3439914040&;
category=177&rd=1

Please notice that both of these are running 800 FSB and the fastest DDRam
and processors available in a laptop.  Both are reliable vendors.

Zuke computers also offers the E732 which has a 16 inch UXGA screen on a 533
FSB system.

Hope this helps

MJH
"The Basil Book"