-=PCTechTalk=- Re: general advice on a laptop

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:44:38 -0600

HI
I bought a refurbished Sony Vaio laptop, larger than normal screen, about a
year ago. Let me tell you what I ran into and that maybe you should
consider. It has a 40 Meg HD. I would like it to be larger now. But that is
because of school.

I bought mine on the net from UBID. I bid on 12 different ones and all came
in within a $100 of each other. So I think UBID was doing some bidding on
them.It came with XP Home. I go to school and figured I could update with
the full version of XP Pro I get from school for 10 bucks. they said no
cause there was something in the bios that checked what OS you were loading
and if it wasn't from there disks it would not allow it to be installed. So
I suggest no matter what one you get make sure that the OS can be updated or
another one can be installed.

If you are going to travel anywhere with it, that   means a case. I found
real quick when I went looking for cases that the larger size laptop cut my
selection of cases down buy about 80%. Also get a case that has protection
around the laptop, for instances: air padding. This helps to prevent damage
to the HD if the laptop is dropped, etc. Paying a couple of extra bucks here
is a lot cheaper than replace HD's. Also you will want a case that will hold
all the accessories you will end up getting for it. Compartments for them is
real desirable.

I bought a USB wireless optical mouse for mine and it cost me $50 bucks. It
was the best decision I could have made. The problem here is that I have
gone through 2 of their little wire extension cables. The wire inside seems
to get broke just by removing it and putting it away in the case. I have to
plug the transmitter/receiver directly into the USB port now. It is good for
a distance of about 3 feet from the laptop. This too will have to go into
the case. The mouse eats up AA batteries pretty quick (I could have got a
non optical that took AAA batteries, I am glad I didn't). I have, had for 15
years, alkaline rechargeable (But they do not make these kind any more) and
I use them. It has saved me a small fortune in the cost of batteries. I
carry 4 batteries around. The reason I prefer the wireless mouse is the
touch pad is very very sensitive and is a real pain to use as far as I am
concerned.

I bought a UPC (small) surge protector for the laptop. I consider that a
good investment. Again this will have to go into the case.

I bought a 750 meg zip drive because of school and home. I would suggest, if
you need something like that, that you consider getting one of those USB
memory that plug directly into the USB port. I wished they were out when I
got the zip drive, I would have gone that route. Again, I have to put this
(750 zip drive) into the case. Keep in mind that I have two cords for it and
a little converter is in one of the cords and it must plug into a wall
outlet or extension cord. The Disks have to go into the case too.

Speaking of USB ports, my laptop has 3 USB ports. When I plug all the stuff
I got into them, 3 is JUST enough. None to spare. SO I suggest you get one
with as many USB ports as possible. Depending on how and what you are going
to use it for, I suggest 3 be the minimum.

Again depending on what you are going to use it for, you may want an extra
battery. On mine, it seems that the battery is the most expensive one they
make. Last I checked it was $250. The say the battery will last 4 hours, but
I only give it two, depending on what you are doing and what accessories you
are using. So When I am at school I make sure I sit next to a wall outlet.
If you get an extra battery, that too will have to go into the case. Hope by
now you are getting the idea about picking out a case.

I bought a little light with a flexible shaft that plugs into one of the USB
ports. I don't use it much but when I do it is a life saver. It plugs into
the USB port comes up the back and bends over the top of the case. The draw
back with this one is that it has only one little light and does not really
light up the whole keyboard adequately. This too has to go into the case.
:-)

It has DVD RW drive and a floppy drive. Again depending on your use, the
disks have to go into the case too.

That brings up the area of having an extension cord with you and the case
must have room for it also.

So in conclusion, a too large of a case is a whole lot better than one that
is too small.

Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in
error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this
information. Thank you