-=PCTechTalk=- Re: general advice on a laptop

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 02:28:06 EST

Dolores
   My almost 4 year old Gateway has a loose power connection with a $400.00
repair tag, so my choices are:
1.  Go cheap and take advatage of the Open Boxes and Returns at local stores
in the $700.00 to $900.00 range and be satisfied with a 15" XGA which is what
I have now with MAYBE a 400 FSB speed.
or
2. Get state of the art at $2,000.00 or less
I am a disabled widow with a medically fragile child so money is important
but so is how I use a computer and what it means to me. I volunteer with
several
non profits doing public relations, setting up accounting stuff, creating
websites and etc. When I travel, the computer goes. It also serves to provide
neurofeedback therapy for my son.  It has TWO cases.  The first is my old
briefcase with a sock filled with plastic peanuts on the bottom.  The second is
small wheeled suitcase that can also carry a poncho, small purse, camera and
its
supplies.  Which I use depends on my physical function level and distance. I
have a USB thing called a Dazzle which can read 6 sizes of memory sticks, so
having one built into the computer is not important to me.
Hope this helps