-=PCTechTalk=- Re: general advice on a laptop

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:43:21 EST

In a message dated 12/31/03 7:32:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
inquisitive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> sorry I caused your system to freeze up :-(  See you are using it for the
> same reason I want to use it - thank you for explaining the SXGA, UXGA and
> W - I doubt I would be watching a DVD on it unless I suppose I was on a
> trip, in a hotel and bored but heck even when I took my eastern European
> trip last summer all the hotels had tv (maybe not in English except for CNN)
> so tha wouldn't be a big requirement.

they come with DVD players, just the screen is not wide angled.

 I know this is going to sound really

> ignorant but I am - you threw some more alphabets in here - what does FSB
> stand for?  I just know it is going to be something really simple and I'll
> hit myself in the forehead and say "duh!" but I'm going to ask anyhow.

>>> FSB = front side bus, which is the speed the system operates at.  Most
Compaq, HP, DELL, IBM and Sony's are still 400 or 533 FSB, considerably slower.

   Now

> the ones you got by bidding, were they refurbished or new?
>
>>> The last one I got from ubid.com 3.5 years ago was a refurbed Gateway
Solo 9150. Came with a 90 warranty.  Some refurb places offer a year or more
warranty.

  There was a

> letter today in the paper to either Dear Ann or Dear Abby about someone who
> got shafted by bidding but it sounded like they were just plain ignorant and
> didn't use common sense.

>>> It's necessary to know your vendor and their policies, whether local or
distant. And, purchase using a credit card, just in case....  I am comfortable
with the two vendors I listed.  In fact, 12 years ago, via mailorder, I got a
lunchtop portable from what is now Sager.

  Oh sorry I took awhile to get back but was eating

> my heart attack causing but yummy chicken wings for NYE :-)

>>> For me it will be pickled herring with rye bread and champagne with
caviar!

Bad backs are no fun.........

 Now I'll go

> check out your info also - thanks!  Dolores

MJH
"The Basil Book"
http://foxhillfarm.us/FireBasil