-=PCTechTalk=- Re: QuickTime

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 01:24:30 -0400

Beverly,
    Here's what you'll need to do.  If anything at all makes you pause and
scratch your head, don't hesitate to fire off a post to ask about it.  If it
does come to that, stop following the rest until that question has been
completely cleared up.  That way, no 'false moves' will have a chance to
become more compromised than they maybe had already become.         :O)

    My focus here is to first put everything back together so that you have
a complete & working profile for Firefox.  I then want to hide it so that
you can reinstall QuickTime for your dressmaking pattern program (without
the install hijacking Firefox).  Finally, we can tell Firefox that it's ok
to come out from hiding.

    The first thing to do is to have all of your old settings together
within a single 'profile'.  But restoring your old profile folder last
night, you have provided us with a beautiful opportunity for doing exactly
that.  So, right click on the folder named 'copy of ccm1moc8.default',
select Rename from the menu and rename it to '4y5qnqh7.default' (without
using the quotes I added).  Since it already contains all of your old
settings, bookmarks, etc., this renamed folder will be used as your complete
profile folder mentioned above.  Just to be safe, you'll want to make a copy
of this folder and store the copy in a safe place, away from the rest of
what we're going to do.  If we never have need for it again, that's fine,
but it'll be very important to have it available should anything else go
wrong (I'm praying, too).  To make this copy, right click on the newly
renamed '4y5qnqh7.default' folder and select Copy from the menu.  Next, open
your My Documents folder in a separate window, right click an unoccupied
area within the My Documents folder and select Paste from the menu.  You'll
see the entire original folder quickly copied into the My Documents folder.
Close My Documents when it has finished.

    Next, if you haven't already done so, we're going to move the now
renamed profile folder to its rightful location shown below.

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4y5qnqh7.default\

    Since the other profile folder seems to have disappeared on us, the
easiest way to accomplish this is just grab and move the folder called
'Profiles' that is just above your newly renamed profile folder in the left
pane of Explorer and move that to the Firefox folder just above it in that
same area.  That may sound a little confusing, so I'll use path statements
to help illustrate.

Move the "Profiles/4y5qnqh7.default" cluster from
C:\
    WINDOWS
        Application Data
            Mozilla
                Profiles
                    Profiles   <---THIS ONE
                        xxxxxxxx.default\

Over to the
C:\
    WINDOWS
        Application Data
            Mozilla
                Firefox     <----TO HERE

folder so that the end result is the correct path of

C:\
    WINDOWS
        Application Data
            Mozilla
                Firefox
                    Profiles
                        4y5qnqh7.default\

    You should then grab me a screenshot of the following locations:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4y5qnqh7.default

    I know the screenshots are a lot of work, but it appears to be my only
means of seeing what you're seeing.  It also allows me to move ahead with
full confidence in what has already been done and how the remaining steps
will affect or be affected by them.            :O)