-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Okay, this has been driving me batty

  • From: "GuitarMan" <pctt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:22:41 -0500

Hi Marcia,
    I've found that repeatedly 'updating' a program via its own Update
system sometimes leads to corrupted application files.  I'll allow a program
to do it itself once or twice, but after that, I'll uninstall it, reboot,
reinstall it (to the exact same location) and then allow it to update itself
to the newest one.  If it was already showing problems, this usually cures
them, but not always.  Once in a blue moon, I have to clean out leftover
registry entries before reinstalling before this method works.

    In addition, sometimes the newer version just doesn't do what you want
from the program (a feature or two that you loved might have been removed in
the new version).  In this case, I'll uninstall, clean up the registry and
then reinstall the older version.  Of course, this can also occasionally
lead to other problems, but I'll save that more complicated topic for a time
when it needs to be discussed.

Peace,
GMan

PCTT Owner