-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Internet Explorer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:49:36 -0500

Kathy,
    If any part of the following is not perfectly clear, don't hesitate to
ask for clarification.  This is something I normally do for clients without
bothering them with the details.

    Open up Windows Explorer (press the Windows key and the letter E to
bring it up) and make your way to "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files".  If
you're unable to find it, let me know cause it may be hidden.  Once inside
the 'Downloaded Program Files' folder, you'll see a list of currently loaded
ActiveX modules.  Some of them will be easy to figure out, like any that
apply to Java.  However, we'll need to dig a bit deeper to figure out what
they all are.  The easiest way would be to right click each entry and select
Properties.  Right at the bottom of the General tab that appears will be a
"CodeBase:" entry that contains a web link.  I have one entry here that
shows as a long string of seemingly random characters
"{8FFBE65D-2C9C-4669-84BD-5829DC0B603C}".  When I go into its Properties, it
shows the web link below.

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/polarbear/ultrashim.cab

    That's enough to tell me that this particular module belongs to Flash
and it should be left alone.  Click on the Cancel button at the bottom of
the Properties window to close it and move onto the next entry.

    I'd like you to do this for each entry you find in that folder.  As you
figure out what each module belongs to, type it out in a reply to this so I
can have a look and help guide you on which ones can or should be removed.
I'll include in my next reply how to go about removing them.

Peace,
Gman