-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dire Computer Problems

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 19:42:50 -0400

IIRC you said you got a NEW copy of Win XP Pro.  Is your problem with the
new copy or your original copy or with both?

Try removing every piece of equipment from your computer that is not
essential to booting and installing the OS.  Such as printer, scanner,
camera, modem, network card and maybe, if you suspect them, extra hard
drives, 3.5 floppy or a 2nd bay CD-RW or DVD-RW and any RAM beyond 256 MB.
If you have upgraded audio and video you could also remove them and enable
the integrated components instead.

If the problem is gone with the system stripped to a bare bones system, then
start adding stuff back in until the problem returns.

You might also try putting your hard drive in your sweeties computer as the
MASTER and install XP there.  If it installs OK, it will tell you you have a
good Install CD.  Don't bother doing the activation process though since you
will want to do that in YOUR computer.

Don

---
Just back from a nice 2 week vacation.  Please bear with me as I catch up.