-=PCTechTalk=- Dire Computer Problems

  • From: "dor" <dor_@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 10:29:30 -0500

Hi Group,
     You know me as Rocky de Dragon, Computer is down so I am on my
Sweethearts machine. My machine is Windows XP Pro, 512 of Ram in one stick,
80Gig HD, in 3 partitions with approximately 25 % free in all partitions.
Over time many programs began to load verrrrrry slowly and finally the
machine crashed.
     My son had sent me a new copy of Win XP Pro so I formatted my C Drive
and tried to install. 24 Files failed to copy and I wound up with a bad
installation that would only continually cycle between the first three
screens and never fully load. I am currently running ScanDisk from a boot
floppy and will follow that with a program called MemTest 86 to check my Ram
unless someone has a better way to check Ram.
     Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated. I believe my
data on D drive is safe and original copies of all my valued software on my
E drive is safe.
Awaiting any Help,
Rocky de Dragon