-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dire Computer Problems

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:05:06 -0400

First off... do a backup to insure nothing gets lost.  To accomplish this,
remove the harddrive from your computer and put in your sweethearts
computer.  This MAY require a replacement ribbon cable with two connectors
on it.  Follow the HD manufacturer's instructions to make your hard drive a
SLAVE.  If there is no space to physically install the drive you may
position a shoebox or whatever to rest it on since this is not a permanent
change.

Once ready copy everything you do not want to lose onto CDs, DVDs or your
sweeties HD.  Note:  COPY do not MOVE.  Then, assuming all goes well, you
won't have to move or copy the data back again.  Verify the data copied OK
to the new location.

Now that your data is definitely secure, format your drive partition that
will host your OS when it goes back to your machine.  This will delete the
existing OS and prevent any existing corrupted files from interfering with
the new install.

Put the harddrive back in your machine, insert your XP install CD and
proceed to install the OS.

I hope this helps.

Don

---
Just back from a nice 2 week vacation.  Please bear with me as I catch up.