-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backup and latest Ghost (12.0)

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:14:21 -0500

Roger,
    Before resorting to the complete OS reinstall measure, is "Drag'n Drop
CD+DVD" the only program giving you trouble that cannot be reinstalled
without an OS redo?  If your answer is yes, I may have one more trick up my
virtual sleeve and the rest of this reply will be just for clarity's sake.
Please inform.

    My suggestion for 5c was only meant as an experiment to see if you could
get the icons back for one or two of them.  My apologies for sending you on
a wild goose chase.  If I had known that you met with no success, I would
have called off the hunt much sooner than what you spent.

    Most likely, the icon issue has the same cause, regardless of whether
it's in the Start menu or in Explorer.  Reinstall the programs who's icons
exhibit that behaviour and the issue 'should' disappear.  If they don't
return to normal, we'll further discuss that C: backup plan.

    When backing up in preparation of a full reinstall, your best bet is to
copy as much of the entire contents of your C: drive as possible.  I would
have said ALL of it, but there are at least a few files (such as your
swapfile) that will give you problems when copying the system that's
currently running.  For this reason, you'll have to take it one main folder
at a time.  I am going to put together a Zip file containing nothing but
folders and an instruction text and upload it to our YahooGroups Files area.
The instructions will basically say that these are the folders that contain
the stuff people don't usually want to lose.  It will include Email,
Wallpaper, My Documents, Program Files (which often contain saved projects,
saved games, etc.), etc..  There will also be a disclaimer that there is no
way for me to predict what folders might be present that relate to apps
installed by the user, so anything odd that detracts from these folders
should be questioned over the list before following through.  That will
include ANY folders that you made yourself to hold stuff you wish to keep
(for instance, I have a standalone "MP3" folder that contains everything
I've ever ripped from my CD collection).

    Yes, a reinstall using your two CDs will most certainly produce an
absolutely squeaky clean system, but you will then need to start installing
all of the apps you wish to use as well as tweaking the system to act in
manner you prefer (such as setting Explorer to Details mode, removing the
"Shortcut To ..." at the beginning of every shortcut you create, moving
shortcuts around so you can find them where you expect them to be, etc.).
You will also want to repopulate the QuickLaunch taskbar (if you use it),
import all of your email contacts, bring back any shortcuts you need on your
desktop, reestablish your bookmarks/favorites, etc..  The rewards for your
efforts are somewhat obvious (clean & noticeably faster system), but it does
take a bit of work to get there.

Peace,
GMan
http://reddit.com
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"