-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backup and latest Ghost (12.0)

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:58:39 +1300

GMan!

there is SOME progress to report.  For ease of reference I have reverted
to YOUR original instructions as under and assigned LETTERS to each
paragraph

I have done two more complete restores (each time improving on the
previous) and need to make three points

Firstly due to my arthritic and clumsy fingers I have difficulty
dragging. Often I find I have dropped something important half-way
across the drag, it has disappeared into a black hole and I have to
spend many minutes searching for and recovering it. I have therefore
changed your instructions as you will see.

Secondly, re my "sense of adventure and threshold for pain" the answer
is "unlimited and robust".  I AGREE entirely with your caution AND that
the Order of Service should be FULL BACKUP>test result>if satisfactory,
FORMAT Drive 0>RESTORE backup.

 Alternatively use WinXP installation Disc (if I can acquire one) for
DUAL Boot on ONE of the External Drive PARTITIONS (please confirm this
is feasible and will NOT wipe all partitions)

Secondly I seem to lose the plot around your paras S,T, and U about
which more anon.

Thirdly I have constructed the following based on your instructions

_BACKUP "Menu du Jour"._

1. a) take Grabzilla Screenshot of Desktop AND print it, so if all else
goes pear-shaped, you can put it on the wall to remember what  life USED
to be like!
    b) REBOOT COMPUTER IN SAFE MODE   .... V. Important

2. Open Win Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab>
    CHECK
    a) Show hidden Files
    b) Display the contents of system folders>
    UNCHECK
    c) Display Simple Folder view in Explorers folder list
    d) Hide extensions for unknown File types
    e) Hide protected Operating system Files (Recommended)

3. Ignore Files starting with $ sign

4. Make a) Folder "C drive SPECIAL at 17.2.08" in H Drive (this becomes
TARGET file).
             b) sub-folders of a) for Documents and Settings, "All
users" and "User" + Program Files + Windows

5. In Win Explorer uncheck "-" for "My Docs"> check "+" for "My
Computer"> check "+" for "C"> single click "Documents and Settings">"All
users" "Edit" (this becomes SOURCE folder) Copy to folder">C drive
SPECIAL...."> H>Docs and settings>"All users">"Copy"

6. watch little folders flying across screen until sleepy; have brandy.

7. Return to find copying halted, with message "Cannot copy User.dat. It
is in use by another person or program"> "OK"

8. Open TARGET file>track to last file copied>enter it's name and
address +"Pest 1" in Navigator's Log Book (= hard copy)

9. Open SOURCE file>find Pest(which surprisingly is in "C/Docs and
settings/User" ONLY)>highlight (single click) REMAINDER of SOURCE
file>"Edit">"Copy to folder">TARGET File>"Copy"

10. See flying folders again; have another brandy

11. Return to see copying halted again

12. Repeat steps 8 to 10 (naming this "Pest 2")

13 Continue for Pests 3 to ??

14. Repeat with Program Files

15. Repeat with Drive E and F

16. Have LARGE brandy

NOTE (for me)  TARGET FILE WILL BE REDUNDANT AS SOON AS YOU MAKE
/SEND/RECEIVE/EMAIL,DOCS,PICS (ANYTHING)  so must REPEAT backup
immediately BEFORE FORMAT/NEW boot.

16. Other Pests discovered were
    a) UsrClass.dat/.dat.LOG/.dat.rmbak/.tmp.LOG (all in C/Docs and
settings/local settings/Application Data/Microsoft/windows)
    b) default, Sam,Security,Software (except .BAK), system,system.LOG
(all in C/Windows/system32/config)

17. NOW, a BIG question please:- Because we are not copying these files
to the TARGET folder, does this mean that they are not neccessary to the
RESTORE, because they are produced by the OS new boot??

NOW, I realise I have committed a capital crime in NOT following you in
your  S, and T, about which I have some questions, please

Q1. in S (line 1) are you referring to the username folder in the SOURCE
Folder or the TARGET Folder??

Q2. in S (line 4) if I press Enter I am told there is already a folder
of that name. If I call it a different name, then ...

Q3. in S (line 5) do you want me to Move "this new folder" (which I will
do using the alternative to "dragging" I have already described) to the
TARGET Docs and settings folder??

Q4. in T, MY ntuser.dat (and other ntuser files) appear in the middle of
about 150 eml files in folder (C/Docs and settings/user" (ONLY)

Q5. my general query is that I cannot understand HOW the Pest is isolated

I hope you can follow my tortuous peregrinations, without tearing out
too much hair!

Roger W