-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backup and latest Ghost (12.0)

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:22:18 +1300

Greetings GMan !

1. and many thanks for yr good wishes which are heartily reciprocated.

2. I am seriously concerned about your health since my message was sent
at 13.49 New Zealand time (we are 13 hours ahead of GMT) and your reply
was so prompt it leads me to believe that you must be located somewhere
in mid-Atlantic where it must be v. wet; and cold !!

3.  Your  reply to Don hits the nail right on the head...

> While it's common knowledge that everyone 'should' review the list (and
> the advice is more than valid), that suggestion only works for tech-types.
> Most folks don't bother because they don't understand the registry enough to
> feel like they are making proper decisions.
4. I am NOT a tech-type, only a qualified ignoramus, and the "Problems"
found by RegMech are all greek to me, so I have just been pressing "Repair"

   Today's situation is:-
    a) I have stopped using RegMech
    b) have tried to restore registry using ERUNT but so far see no
difference
    c) tried 4 attempts to make  XP Sys restore work. In each attempt I
get "Your computer cannot be restored to ...(date) .. Choose another
           restore point"  or "The application failed" . In the
circumstances I was v.  happy to find today's restore point DID work.

5. The greyed out icons when I open "Program" list are not easily
described;
    a) in most cases the program will open
    b) but some have been swallowed up (apparently by RegMech)
    c) e.g. Enditall, Irfanview, Family Tree Maker all disappeared (but
I can restore those)

6. Worst is "Drag'n Drop CD+DVD" which
    a) briefly flashes an Opening Page, but does not open
    b) will not show the usual Three icons on desktop; "Data", "Music"
and  "Copy Disk", so am unable to access these
    c) on inserting DVD containing photos it runs, but when I try to
copy to HD I can hear the disk trying to start, trying to start, trying
to               start.......
    d) then cursor hangs and I get BSOD (twelve today so far)
    e) on using Explorer, the Program contents show "Bin Files" which
include some greyed out icons including "ezcdmksk.bm", "ditto.in",
           "ditto.pos", "DLW  760KB..... BIN FILE" (no extension),
"WRMETER ....232KB...BIN file" (no extension).
    f) presumably if these worked then the rest of the Program would
come into line??
    g) the contents also included about half "My Documents" Folder,
including pictures of London Trolleybuses and antique silver !! I
dragged             these to a separate folder on the desktop, but it
made no difference to the problems in a) to g) above

7. By now I can hear the yawns going off all around the list so I shall
stop, but if you wish I will happily send you a screen shot of the
Program     List (off-list)

Thank you very much for all your comments and help so far, including
from BIG MARC, Sandi, Don 101 and ML

Roger W