-=PCTechTalk=- Re: AVG HELP PLEASE

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:17:23 -0400

Hi Sandi,
    There are different levels of advice just as much as there are different
levels of ignoring advice.  If I tell you that it's not safe to run your
system without any AV protection and you ignore that advice, when you come
back to me in a week with a terribly infected system, I'm not going to feel
all that sympathetic towards your situation (actually, I'll feel terrible,
but you know what I mean).  On the other hand, if I suggest that you move
all of your document files to a second partition, I'm fully aware that
advice may not fit in well with your situation.  Also, most members fail to
provide me with ALL of the background info I need to make fully personalized
recommendations for a lot of things.  The heaviest difficulty I have in a
group situation is that I must write my suggestions in a way that is geared
towards not just the person with whom I'm having the conversation, but also
towards anyone else who might be following along.  I also know that our
discussions often appear in Google searches, so what I type will be read by
a number of folks who are discovering the group for the first time and they
have no clue as to anyone's background here.  Those folks are only looking
for detailed answers that can get them back up & running with a minimum of
fuss and they'll automatically choose from the search hits whichever answer
seems to best fit their sitution.  So, I consistantly try to strike as much
of a balance between all of these demands as I possibly can.  Of course, I'm
sometimes more on target than others and I think most of you already know
all that by now.          :O)

    But that wasn't what I was thinking when I typed that out.  Pat was
talking about someone she's working with "one on one".  In her case, he's
getting very specific advice targetted directly to his own situation, but
he's ignoring it.  I get very frustrated when the same thing happens to me
with my own customers, family members, etc..  But by no means am I comparing
that to what happens in group situations.  Apples & Orangutans, my friend.
LOL

Peace,
Gman