-=PCTechTalk=- Re: AVG HELP PLEASE

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:02:54 -0400

Hi Richard,
    Everything I'm currently running is free with the exception of the
Symantec AV Corp edition, which is actually pretty inexpensive for how great
it works (I got it for about $30 US).  The Symantec Corp offering is much,
much better than any of the consumer grade AV products they offer under the
Norton brand, but it should be since it's designed for businesses (and they
usually purchase a ton of licenses at a time).  See current full prices
below, but remember that other places offer sales, rebates, etc..

http://tinyurl.com/57np9y

    It certainly appears as if the Norton 360 has not been very helpful at
keeping your system safe.  One other problem I see is that AOL has closed
Netscape's virtual doors and is no longer providing security updates for
that browser (or any other Netscape branded apps).  This means the browser
itself may have been the open door that some of these bugs used to get into
your system.

    If it's not beyond the realm of possibilities, I would seriously think
about backing up everything you want to save and starting over again
(format/reinstall Windows).  Only 65% with 180 files infections already
found is a pretty serious infestation and there's no way that anyone can
guarantee that it's all fixable.  If the new drive has never had an
operating system installed to it, I could toss you some suggestions for
switching the role of the two drives around, creating a separate boot
partition on the new one and then securing the newly installed OS before
anything can 'get to it'.  This would be the absolute BEST approach to
getting your system fixed up with the least amount of work.  If you choose
to go this route, let me know and I'll send in some specific steps you can
take to minimize the pain.

    If you don't want to go through that, you're going to need to services
of a Malware Removal Expert.  Luckily, the service they provide is free (but
usually provide a way for you to donate to the cause if they are able to
help you), but expect to work with them constantly over numerous days and
possibly weeks before the system is declared bug free.  If you'd like to see
an example of a full session with one of these guys, check out the link
below and be sure to follow it through all of the pages until its eventual
conclusion.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31991

Peace,
Gman