[pchelpers] Re: sending emails from apartment

  • From: "G.R. Hanson" <rena.hanson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:56:30 -0500

Scott McNay wrote:
Hi,

There are two separate issues here, and one or both may be involved:

1. The home (your own) ISP may block SMTP connection attempts from
outside.  This  is unlikely to be the problem, since people often want
to check their email while away.

 So far I've always been able to check (and send) my mail at hotels on this
laptop.

2. The local ISB may block attempts to connect to the SMTP server on
your  home  ISP. This is most likely the problem.

 Yep.  Most likely.

Most ISBs have webmail available, which lets you check email using a
web browser, without worrying about being blocked.

For those with a disability: you have a good excuse to call up the
local ISP and make them help you get Thunderbird working, instead of
foisting webmail or excuses on you. they may get a headache as a
result; too bad for them for making it too restrictive.

 Hmmm.  I wonder what I can claim as a disability, hehe.  <mental illness?
hehe>

 On the other
hand, they may decline on the grounds that they're a monopoly and
therefore don't need to care about you (although they likely won't say
that out loud).

--Scott.

 Re-Na