[pchelpers] Re: Partition windows xp

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "G.R. Hanson" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:44:19 -0500

Hi Re-Na,

GRH> Need?  Well, it was just suggested to me that it would be a good idea.
GRH> I'm sure it's all one partition now, but as I said, I've not checked it
GRH> out yet since I'm using that monitor on this old pc for the time being.
GRH> I'll check it out soon though.

GRH> I was just thinking it would be a lot better way in case I just needed
GRH> to replace certain parts of the partitions ever, or, if I was to defrag
GRH> or scan disk.  A 120 gig drive surely would take forever to do.

Since you have Windows on it already, you'd need a partition resizing
utility, such as Partition Magic, to resize the existing partition and
make new ones.  Either that or wipe out what you have now, make new
partitions, and install Windows again.

What I personally like (at present, subject to change) is two Windows
partitions and a data partition.  Two, in case one starts getting
flaky, or just plain crashes and burns.  For example, if I start
having trouble with the internet, I can start up on the other
partition to see if it's a problem with my system or not.  If one
dies, then I can make the other one the default, and pull off any
config settings and so forth from the dead partition.  Once I save
what I want, I can wipe the bad partition and reinstall Windows on it.
I try to save all data on the data partition, but there are some
programs that are not fully WinXP compliant, and save their data in
the programs folder or some such place.  The same goes for the
HKLM/SOFTWARE key in the registry, unfortunately.

One of the other advantages of WinXP is that you can have multiple
users, so that if a program starts acting flaky, you can log on as
another user and try the program to see if it's ok. If so, you can
switch to that user permanently; again, this is another way that you
can keep your system up and running without an extreme amount of
hassle.

--Scott.