[pchelpers] Re: Partition windows xp

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Robert McLellan <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:26:02 -0500

Hi Robert,

RM>         With XP it is simple.  Share your folder that you want to be shown
RM> as a drive letter.  then go to MyComputer - Tools - map a network drive and
RM> pick the folder you have shared.  Presto!  you now have a drive letter in
RM> your  MyComputer.  I usually  just use Brother   Savard's Turbo Launch and
RM> make a section for folders and it pops me into what ever folder that I want.

If leery about sharing drives, you can use the SUBST command instead:

SUBST P: C:\MyPublicFolder

Note that it will need to be redone at each login; it can't be made
permanent in the same way as mapping.

Actually, with WinXP and Win2K, you already have a share; you can
map to the folder like this:

\\(mycomputername)\C$\MyPublicFolder

You'd use "C$" for C: and "D$" for D:, and so forth.

--Scott.