Re: Server Architecture

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: satheeshbabu.s@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 07:32:31 -0700

Satheesh,

Yes, this is a very common architecture for segregating Oracle databases into their own "virtual servers" on UNIX. You hit the nail on the head when you stated that "in broader sense, each UNIX account will be logically considered as one server". There are many advantages and disadvantages to this. Simplicity is not one of the advantages, but simplicity may not have been a high-priority requirement -- other things like security compliance and virtualization for easier provisioning may have been higher.

Recently Oracle introduced its own virtual machine, which accomplishes the same purpose (http://www.oracle.com/ondemand/collateral/virtualization-oracle-vm-wp.pdf).

The rationale for Oracle's virtualization strategy should be similar to what this consultant used for justification. Perhaps you'd better study up on the pro's and con's of virtualization, then make your own decision as to whether your environment's requirements are met by this.

Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.
P.O. Box 1802, Evergreen CO  80437-1802
website   = http://www.EvDBT.com/
email     = Tim@xxxxxxxxx
mobile    = +1-303-885-4526
fax       = +1-303-484-3608
Yahoo IM  = tim_evdbt

Satheesh Babu.S wrote:

All,
We have been proposed with following architecture by our consultant. I need your expert opinion on this. Assume a server got 5 database and all the databases running in same oracle version and patchset. They are proposing to create 5 unix account. Each unix account will have one oracle binaries and corresponding oracle DB. Apart from that each unix account will have dedicated mountpoints. In broader sense each unix account will be logically considered as one server.

I am slightly worried about this architecture. Because when this architecture goes to production, the impact it will have on maintenace going to be huge. Assuming i am having minimum 100 db in production( ours is a very large shop) and if i need to apply one patch to all these servers going to kill us. Secondly, will there be a impact on licensing. I don't think so, but like to check it up with you guys. I know it has got some advantage too. But is this approach is suitable for large shop like us?

Regards,
Satheesh Babu.S
Bangalore