Re: Server Architecture

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx, satheeshbabu.s@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 05:59:52 -0800 (PST)

The only reason (or at least the only one I can think of right now) I would
consider an architecture like this is if you had some requirement to segregate
the DBA responsibilities for one or more of these databases. The oracle user
account can be separated, but, perhaps more importantly, the OSDBA group
(usually "dba") can be different for the different ORACLE_HOMEs. Since this
value is linked in to the binaires in the ORACLE_HOME, you'd require separate
ORACLE_HOMEs installed by different users (that also have different group
memberships) in order to effect this change.

I agree that this would have a serious effect on manageability and patching
would become a full-time job for someone in this environment (assuming you at
least keep up with quarterly CPUs). I can't imagine this would impact your
licensing unless you license the database(s) from an application vendor and not
from Oracle directly since the vendor-included licenses sometimes have serious
restrictions on how Oracle can be installed and used.

So, without some business justification for using this type of architecture, I
would not implement it. There would have to be a requirement to do this and it
would have to be a strong one. As it is being reviewed with management, it
would be important to include a statement about the impact (in terms of how
many FTE DBAs you would have to add to manage the environment). If your
consultant keeps this recommendation in their report, you should request that
they add such a statement to their documentation.

I'm curious if you have such a business requirement. Without the requirement,
you'd be left to assess this recommendation based on best practices and I think
most would agree that this is definitely NOT a best practice.

Dan