RE: Server Architecture

  • From: "Roberts, David \(GSD - UK\)" <david.h.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <satheeshbabu.s@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 14:21:20 -0000

This seems to be the same as s solution proposed and implemented for one
of our customers by consultant from a server manufacturer.

The only justification that I heard was that this would allow the use of
Solaris to
<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-35,GGLJ:en&sa=X
&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=prioritorise+&spell=1> prioritorise
one of the environments/databases over the others.

What came to light later was that only one of the environments was
actually installed using Oracle installer, with the other environments
simply being created by tarring up the binaries and untarring them in
the appropriate directories with the appropriate chown and chmods.

This essentially made patching them difficult!

I would encourage you to enquire further as to the methodology they will
be using to install the binaries, as unless they are planning to cut
corners in the installation, they seem to be making a small task into a
much bigger one.

Dave

David Roberts
Senior Developer

LogicaCMG - Releasing your potential

LogicaCMG UK Limited
Registered in England and Wales (registered number 947968)
Registered office: Stephenson House, 75 Hampstead Road, London NW1 2PL,
United Kingdom