Re: Server Architecture

  • From: "Keith Moore" <kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:23:37 -0600 (CST)

We mostly use this architecture in production, i.e. one Unix account and set
of binaries per instance. It has plusses and minuses. The plus is when
application A needs a patch, but applications B through E do not. With one set
of binaries, the patch needs to be tested (in theory) on all applications.

Or, Application A is on Oracle 9i and is upgraded to a new version that
requires 10g. But, applications B through E aren't supported on 10g. Or are
supported on 10.2.0.1, but not 10.2.0.3.

In my experience, the problems are endless.

We also use Veritas clustering software and have the need to failover
individual  databases to a different server. I'm not sure how that would be
done without each database having it's own Oracle binaries, listener, etc.

This architecture was decided before I arrived. I've done it both ways and to
me, this way has less headaches.

Keith