SQLPLUS training, why?

  • From: "Aragon, Gabriel (GE, Corporate, consultant)" <gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 22:09:11 -0500

Hi list,

I have been asked to give a sqlplus training to some junior and junior+
DBA's, since Im expecting the first question to be:

"I know how to run most common DML/DDL/etc commands so, why do I need to
take a sqlplus training to format output or generate reports when there
is a lot of tools which can help me to access database w/o using manual
input?"

and I have thought some answers like:

1. Im sure nobody is exploding all features available in SQLPLUS.
2. What would you do if you have to work in a company which is not able
to pay for nice tools?
3. Knowledge on SQLPLUS would help you to get a better understanding of
oracle database.

and so on..

but I would like to hear some feedback from you guys, why a sqlplus
training is important?

TIA
Gabriel