RE: SQLPLUS training, why?

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:45:19 -0500

Chris,

    Well, I suppose that term really does need definition because it
really does change by what your doing.  Yes I do learn something new
about SQL just about daily, especially with the duhvelopers we have
around here.  There are quite a few who should enter the "Obfuscated
SQL" contest.  Had a "problem" sql statement handed to me the other day.
157 lines of code, 8 sub queries, 12 dynamic view definitions, and 2
partition by clauses only to find what the max(last_trial_date) was in a
particular table for a particular trial.  And to boot the script had a
number of defines, breaks, new_column and no print statements included.
Boy was that ever fun???

    So back to the original question, mastery to me means that you can
read 90% of the sql your handed and make sense out of it and that you
can repair, create, or diagnose a database without the help of a GUI
because you may not have access to one.  For the remainder I'd expect
the individual to have a good understanding of where in the
documentation he/she can find what they need and understand it.  Why the
docs you say. because you may or may not have access to the net when you
most need it.  Many years ago I was faced with a broken database, a
VT100 terminal directly attached to the server, an no external network
connectivity.  Thank GOD for Palm Pilots.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA