Re: Microsoft Windows, will rule in the next 8 years in the market

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:49:29 +0000

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:04:44 -0500, Goulet, Dick <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From someone who has to use Windoze along with Linux & HP-UX.
> Windoze
> interface is proprietary, develop for that platform & you can't get
> multi platform independence.

I really don't get the multi-platform argument, unless one is a
software company. One should be developing for the business needs of
your organisation, not the vendor's who may supply you with software
and hardware in the future.

I don't like people who refuse to use Oracle's features because then
they lose database independence. I cannot for the life of me see why
the same argument doesn't apply to operating environments.

In terms of database platforms I also fail to see why developers
should know what os the database is running on anyway - just as they
should be unaware of the models of the disks.

> Having to reboot to clear 90% of one's
> errors is also not an acceptable thing.  Having to reboot after each
> software patch/load is not acceptable.

If this is being done in a Windows environment then I'd suggest that
the sys admins get some further training. The reboot level in windows
is still too high, but neither of the above should be true in a well
run windows shop.

> Having to patch the OS 30 times
> a month to keep the hackers out is not acceptable.

Windows is running at about 4 or 5 patches a month at the moment that
deal with various security issues, not all of which will be relevant
to everyone. I personally think that this should be probably 1, but it
certainly isnt one a day.

> And having to reboot
> every month to keep it running smoothly, not acceptable.

nor necessary.

> End result, in 8 years Microsoft will have the same market share in
> operating systems as Apple has today in desktops.  I firmly believe
> we'll see the end of Windoze in the data center in that time.

That would be an interesting reversal of current trends.
http://www.entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=6050 is the latest
research I can find (that won't cost me 5 grand to pay for). Linux and
Windows both growing significantly Proprietory Unix falling. My belief
is that we will see the end of SUN or HP in that market in that sort
of timescale. This is of course not a good thing.

>  Possibly
> not the desktop, but that's looking slimmer as well.  In 2003 Linspire,
> Linux desktop OS, only held .1% market share, in 2004 I believe they
> rose to around 3%.

Desktops are a different story.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?1003196

-