Re: Metalink forums - effects of the outsourcing

  • From: jsb@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Ryan <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:09:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Ryan wrote:

> As far as TARs go. I find that when I first post a TAR, I get a generic
> response,

I'm sure that the front line support gets some of the most moronic
questions ever heard - and the proliferation of Linux undoubtedly has
contributed to this when you consider that the majority of job applicants
who claim they have unix experience barely know how to get the Red Hat CD
out of the box.

> but when I respond and escalate, I get good service. I often get phone
> calls to followup. Might be because I have been doing very large
> projects for a while now. Maybe we get better service when your company
> spends more money?

Same here - the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

And let's be fair........  if I open a TAR and ask Oracle to "just make
the problem go away" without giving them useful information for
troubleshooting I would expect to receive the same treatment.  But the
true geek has disappeared and is replaced by pithy people who expect to be
able to treat support staff like dirt because they're paying for support.

Whatever...  One hand washes the other.