RE: 10g RAC -- Multiple DB's and mixed OS

  • From: "Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra" <ldutra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:44:38 -0300

oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx gravou em 2006-04-07 17:35:25:

> Do you have a reference where Linus makes this opinion known? !
> I have already carved out a spot on my wall...because I'm
> going to print it off and frame it if it exists... will be a
> great way to start each day with a bit of humor.

        Just Google for it, it was quite well publicised.  He is adamant
on it, he repeats it, and he has quite some reasoning on it.  And it has
became a point of reference for the kernel community.  For example,
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002059632_linus11.html,

but I think in the mailing list he expanded it quite a bit.

        Also, from a market perspective he's right.  GNU/Linux is already
popular enough in the Internet space, and is gaining quite some traction
in the embedded market.  The server is being pushed by IBM, Oracle and
others.  Not only the desktop is the market frontier for GNU/Linux, but
also it is needed to leverage the other areas, on the theory that PHBs
will push what they already know in the data center.

        I am not qualified to judge, I am just reporting.  As I said, if
one needs more conservativeness, Unices are still open systems.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Administrador de Bases de Dados      +55 (11) 4390 5383