RE: 10g RAC -- Multiple DB's and mixed OS

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 13:00:00 -0700

        Ok, possibly naive on my part, but Jeff doesn't seem to quite
agree with you.

hmmm... maybe he hates windows? I don't put words in Jeff's mouth. I
figured
out that would be a bad idea some, what, 14 years ago...

        And I'm still curious about the other half:  how much influence
can be
        exerted over windows development?

Windows, paradoxically is a closed-source/open system. The word "open"
is
used to describe the interoperability ecosystem. Linux on the other hand
is
open source/closed system.  That is, as long as you have managed to
develop code just to give it away for free (tough biz model to get
venture cap for), you don't get the kid-gloves treatment in "the
community".

MSFT, on the other hand, has APIs and qualification programs and as long
as you play by the rules, you get kid-gloves treatment from "the
community".

        Windows may be more stable than in the past, but it still has
warts.

        * drive letters

There are solutions for this, guess where. It is possible to have tens
of dozens of LUNs
as mointpoints under a single drive with *certain solutions*...or simply
concat
and stripe LUNs and make a single 16TB filesystem with a drive letter
and have, what,
24 or so of those?

        * very non-scriptfriendly commands

agreed, but this is the viewpoint of a Unix-oriented person.  The
original thread
touched on the notion that a 100% windows shop (e.g., zero Unix/Linux
expertise)
would be more likely to succeed if they ware to try to cramb in a
seat-of-the-pants
learning curve Unix/Linux system.

        * the shell sucks

Solutions for that too, but again, might not suck to "windows people"

        * services cannot be counted on to start reliably on reboot

Bug or architecture issue?  Bug likely. And there once again, there are
solutions
for that too.

I know I'm sounding argumentative, but I'm not trying to be.  I just
want to
keep cutting back to the original supposition that started this thread,
which was
that 100% windows shops would be better off crambing in a Linux system
for Oracle.

Now, all that aside, I still think Oracle on Windows is a REALLY bad
fit, but that
is not so much a Windows problem in my assessment. Opinions are free...