[opendtv] wm trials at different telcos using wm series

  • From: "Prashant Desai" <prashant.desai@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:01:28 +0530

Hello Everyone

   I am curious , the list members views on the windows media server [ wm
series ]  ,  is it a truly a carrier grade solution

For streaming [unicast and multicast ] streams to few tens of thousands of
subscriber simultaneously ?

  Does MS DRM can be used  for securing/encrypting ( CAS functionality )the
live  Broadcast TV channels ? which can be decoded on the PC or on the set
top box

Running windows CE OS , if MS DRM cant be used for encryption of the live
Broadcast TV channels then are there any other vendors who supports  wm9
format

For the CAS functionalities ?

 Does any one aware about the status of any of the wm9 trials that's MS is
/was conducting at some of the largest telco's like

SBC, Telecom Italia , Verizone and others ...

 I  was just surprised when I came to know that windows media server is
capable of supporting few 10 thousands of unicast streams simultaneously

 At the rate of  512 KBPS to  1MBPS  to 1.5 MBPS  for viewing the same on
either PC or on TV sets.

I would really appreciate your inputs  on above

Warm regards,

Prashant