[opendtv] Re: wm trials at different telcos using wm series

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:56:34 -0400

At 10:04 PM -0400 5/17/05, Gary Hughes wrote:
>I've never seen any other claim that VC1 was twice as efficient as
>AVC. Maybe you could make that claim against MPEG-4 part 2 video
>(I'm beginning to wish AVC was MPEG-something-other-than-4), but
>I'd be sceptical about that too.

I just finished my NAB feature on video compression for BE today. I
used H.264 consistently throughout, despite the fact that more than
25 companies came together at NAB under the AVC banner. Some
companies are trying to avoid the legacy of MPEG-4 while others
continue to promote some of the really useful MPEG-4 tools running
atop the new Part 10 codec. Envivio had some very well done demos in
their booth at NAB.

It's going to wind up being either AVC or H.264 - MPEG-4 Part 10 is
too many characters for jargonese. Apple and the ISMA are going with
H.264 - these are the folks that will have millions of deployed
decoders within a few weeks, albeit on niche platforms like the Mac,
Solaris, Unix etc.

>As to why there are few if any live deployments of VC1 or AVC in
>telcos... no one is shipping set tops in quantity yet and current
>unit prices are on the high side. The cable world is not hurting
>for bandwidth enough to make the transition; the telco guys will
>likely make the leap first (although they are also facing sticker
>shock for set tops and real time encoders).

DirecTV is likely to be the first large scale deployment outside the
world of the PC. Echostar will not be far behind.

One thing to consider: don't underestimate the impact of H.264 on the
PVR market. Witha 50% bit rate saving benefit it won't take long for
H.264 to find its way into the PVR - it may take a bit longer for
native H.264 streams to be available for caching, but every new
stream for a cable or DBS company represents additional revenue via
NVOD, VOD or more room for broadband.

Broadcasters are likely to jump on the H.264 bandwagon quickly for
back haul applications...
for NTSC.