[opendtv] Re: wm trials at different telcos using wm series

  • From: "Prashant Desai" <prashant.desai@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 02:31:27 +0530

Hi Kon

 Thanks a lot for all the clarification ,

 It seems whoever is using wm9 ,most of them claiming that its pretty
feature rich compared to the advanced codec MPEG-4 AVC , infact somewhere
I have read that  VC1 which is just subset of wm9 deliver the same quality
video at approx half of the rate at which the mpeg-4 avc delivers the same
video with same quality  ..... and also that VC1's compression mechanism
automatically gets improved with the increase of the bit rate [ encoding ]
and thus it can compress data more effectively at higher bit rates ,

 I personally have never seen the quality of video for any of these MPEG-4
AVC or wm9 or VC1 on a TV set at same rate ......

 Are there any test results that been published by an independent entity for
these ?  If there is please point me to it, since we really in dilemma
whether to go with mpeg-4 AVC or with VC1 or with proprietary wm9?

 Pls guide me on this

Regards,
Prashant