[opendtv] Re: What a coincidence: Can TV Broadcasters Really Go OTT?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 06:10:50 -0400

Special interests are allowed to "game" the system?

1. The creators of the content are free to do whatever they wish with the content they have created, and it is not a constitutionally protected right to watch "The Big Bang Theory" commercial free on the internet, or indeed to watch it at all by any means if the owners of the intellectual property do not wish to allow you to do so.

2. Many syndicated and sports programming contracts include a limited license to display the content only to viewers in a specified market. Verifying that a streaming viewer is also an MVPD subscriber is a simple way for the broadcaster to comply with that license.

3. I object to watching ads while waiting for the feature film to begin at the movie theater, but I don't object enough to stay home.

Regards,

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Personally, I object to paying a subscribe fee for ANY ad supported program; I also object to paying many taxes. But we live in a country where special interests are allowed to game the system.