[opendtv] Re: What a coincidence: Can TV Broadcasters Really Go OTT?

  • From: Gary Blievernicht <garybliev@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

I wonder how many people actually have access to 3Mb/s download speed?  At my
house, 10 miles north of the Capitol of Michigan, the maximum speed I have from
Frontier Telephone is 1.7Mb/s.  Cable is not available.    LTE is only
available from a few providers, as the report mentioned, most of them have some
pretty significant caps or cost associated.  Satellite is available, but again,
at a significant cap or cost.

With the FCC accepting as little as 200kbps within the definition of
"broadband"   I'm rather stumped to find out.

The Census bureau reports in 2011 71.7% of the population had Internet at home
(but no indication of connectivity speed)    Statista reports 2012 internet
users at 273.79 M users (about 87%) (internet not defined)
http://www.statista.com/statistics/205251/number-of-internet-users-in-the-united-states/

"Broadband access statistics" reports 41 million people in the US have
<undefined> broadband connections.  About 13% of the population.

Over-the-air in combination with cable and satellite systems has pretty much
99.% coverage?

How can that be replicated with IP?

Then, there is the quality issue, a typical mpeg-2 HD stream of a 720p signal
is about 12 Mb/s in an ATSC 8VSB multiplex.  The approximate same level of
quality in MPEG-4 abut 6Mb/s. The approximate same level of quality in the next
generation compression about 3 Mb/s.

The FCC definition of broadband is, well, pretty broad.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/getting-broadband

What Is Broadband?
Broadband or high-speed Internet access allows users to access the
Internet and Internet-related services at significantly higher speeds
than those available through “dial-up” Internet access services.
Broadband speeds vary significantly depending on the particular type and level
of service ordered and may range from as low as 200 kilobits per
second (kbps), or 200,000 bits per second, to 30 megabits per second
(Mbps), or 30,000,000 bits per second.  Some recent offerings even
include 50 to 100 Mbps.  Broadband services for residential consumers
typically provide faster downstream speeds (from the Internet to your
computer) than upstream speeds (from your computer to the Internet).

From the Census bureau:

Table 7: Households With a Computer and Internet Use: 1984 to 2011
(In thousands.)

Selected characteristics Total  Household with computer at home Household with
Internet use at home
Percent Percent

Householders 1

    .Year
    ..2011 119,250 75.6 71.7
    ..2010 119,545 76.7 71.1
    ..2009 119,296 74.1 2 68.7
    ..2007 117,840 69.7 2 61.7
    ..2003 113,126 61.8 54.7
    ..2001 109,106 56.3 50.4
    ..2000 105,247 51.0 41.5
    ..1997 102,158 36.6 18.0
    ..1993 98,736 22.9 (x)3
    ..1989 94,061 15.0 (x)3
    ..1984 87,073 8.2 (x)3

________________________________
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/int_bro_acc-internet-broadband-access

Internet Statistics > Broadband access (most recent) by country
VIEW DATA:    Totals    Definition     Source               Printable version

     Bar Graph     Map     Correlations
Showing latest available data.
Rank
Countries
Amount
#               1      United States: 40,876,000

#               2      China: 35,010,000

#               3      Japan: 20,913,000

#               4      Korea, South: 11,994,000

#               5      France: 8,927,000