[opendtv] Re: What a coincidence: Can TV Broadcasters Really Go OTT?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:15:56 -0400

An excellent post Dan!

You touch upon another aspect of this problem which has been adulterated by the
politicians…

The corruption of the original intent for copyright, one of the few specific
items that the Constitution instructs Congress to enact into law. The original
law gave authors protection for 14 years; if still living when theta expired
they could request a 14year extension.

In 1998 Congress passed the CTEA, Copyright Term Extension Act; a major
proponent of this extension was Disney, which donated more than 6 million to
political campaigns in 1997-98.

The CTEA extended the term of protection by 20 years for works copyrighted
after January 1, 1923. Works copyrighted by individuals since 1978 got "life
plus 70" rather than the existing "life plus 50". Works made by or for
corporations (referred to as "works made for hire") got 95 years. Works
copyrighted before 1978 were shielded for 95 years, regardless of how they were
produced.

Apparently the public commons is now a graveyard…