[opendtv] Re: What a coincidence: Can TV Broadcasters Really Go OTT?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:32:29 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> And yet, here we have ABC just recently adding a bunch of markets where
> their live OTA programming is now available online, *with MVPD
> subscription*. Totally weird, right? Who cares about live?
>
> Sports fans!

So how much sports is left on ABC? You mean, like, maybe on Saturday afternoons
or something? Not much prime time has to be watched live, right? Like you said,
isn't it better to watch it on demand anyway?

> They clearly want every "view" to be counted. If a statistically
> significant segment of their audience moves to second screen devices
> they need to count them.

If the second screen is on the Internet, Craig, keeping track of viewership is
not hard to do. Certainly doesn't require an MVPD subscription. This VOD stuff
is TCP/IP, i.e. a two-way session between *each* connected box and a server. No
problem keeping track of viewership, as it might be with IP multicast (although
there are ways to track that too).

> This is "the stuff" of negotiations between networks and affiliates. What
> we are seeing with ABC streaming their owned stations in large markets is
> a "pilot study." If it works, then we might see all access to ABC programs
> through affiliate web portals, rather than the network Internet portal.

Yes, that might just be the evolution taking place. In which case, requiring an
MVPD subscription becomes ridiculous, since all they're offering is the same
service previously provided as FOTA. You're not using the MVPD's infrastructure
(or if you are, you're already paying broadband fees for that) and you're not
getting the extra basic channels, even. Just an overabundance of greed.