[opendtv] Re: What a coincidence: Can TV Broadcasters Really Go OTT?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:18:46 -0400

On Jul 14, 2013, at 9:32 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So how much sports is left on ABC? You mean, like, maybe on Saturday
> afternoons or something? Not much prime time has to be watched live, right?
> Like you said, isn't it better to watch it on demand anyway?

Enough to be useful when the next retrains con set negotiation takes place. Did
you notice that CBS is dragging its feet with Time Warner until football season?

> If the second screen is on the Internet, Craig, keeping track of viewership
> is not hard to do. Certainly doesn't require an MVPD subscription. This VOD
> stuff is TCP/IP, i.e. a two-way session between *each* connected box and a
> server. No problem keeping track of viewership, as it might be with IP
> multicast (although there are ways to track that too).

We've discussed this ad nauseum. The issue is not the underlying technology,
other than the reality that you cannot suddenly shift most TV viewing from
current infrastructures to the Internet; in time the bandwidth WILL become
available.

The issue is controlling how people access and pay for content. And perhaps as
important an issue, is how advertisers will shift their money to media that
allow them to target real customers. Ultimately, we may have the option of
paying a reasonable fee for a program or a VOD service without commercials, or
to accept targeted ads in lieu of paying for the content. But there are still
many curves and dead ends on the road ahead.

>> This is "the stuff" of negotiations between networks and affiliates. What
>> we are seeing with ABC streaming their owned stations in large markets is
>> a "pilot study." If it works, then we might see all access to ABC programs
>> through affiliate web portals, rather than the network Internet portal.
>
> Yes, that might just be the evolution taking place. In which case, requiring
> an MVPD subscription becomes ridiculous, since all they're offering is the
> same service previously provided as FOTA. You're not using the MVPD's
> infrastructure (or if you are, you're already paying broadband fees for that)
> and you're not getting the extra basic channels, even. Just an overabundance
> of greed.

Nothing changes except the web address Bert. It's not a question of whose
infrastructure the bits come from; it IS a question of verification that you
have an MVPD subscription so that they get their subscriber fees.